Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie

This is the dairy free pumpkin pie recipe I ended up making this year. I used this one because it was VERY close to the regular one we use. Terha will have to get on and post how it tasted. I tasted a little of the batter from the bowl that was left over and could not tell any difference.

1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg or all spice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coconut milk (I used soy milk)
1 unbaked pie shell (make sure this is dairy free as well.)

Preheat your oven to 425*
Combine the sugars, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl beat the eggs. Stir in the sugar mixture, pumpkin, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the soy milk.

Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350* and continue to bake for 50-60 minutes (it was 60 minutes for my oven), or until a knife inserted comes out clean. It may be a bit wobbly still, but it will firm-up as it cools.

Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for 2 hours (this is important!). Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.

I was really surprised how well this came out. The texture and color looked the EXACT same as the other pies. I expected it to be more runny from not using evaporated milk but the soy milk seemed to cook well and set up just fine. I got the recipe from godairyfree.org

No comments: