Thursday, October 9, 2008

Banana Muffins

I got this recipe from a girl on a message board I frequent and I finally had ripe enough bananas Tuesday night to make them.

1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
1 egg (or flaxseed mixture, see below)
1/3 cup canola oil (or no sugar added applesauce)
1/3 cup milk (soymilk)
1/2 chopped walnuts (I leave these out)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 and grease muffin pan or line with paper cups.
Combine first 7 ingredients (dry) in medium bowl. Mix the banana, egg, oil, and milk in a separate bowl. Make a well in the middle of dry ingredients and stir in wet ones. Mix until just combined. Fold in nuts and chocolate chips and divide among muffin cups. Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown and smell heavenly.

Flaxseed mixture: Mix 1 TBS of ground flaxseed with 3 TBS of water and you have the perfect healthy egg alternative for any recipe.

Verdict: These were a perfect breakfast for me. My kids are not muffin fans (of any kind) so they have tasted them but have not eaten a whole one. They are really yummy and I plan on alternating between these and banana bread when I have bananas to use.

No comments: