Saturday, August 16, 2008

Granola

I found this recipe on a blog I visit. I am going to type it out here because I hate having to click on links to see things but if you want to see the photo's she has that go along with the recipe go here

I don't measure carefully...
3 heaping cups of Oats
1 heaping cup of Cheerios
3 TBSP brown sugar
cinnamon
2 TBSP butter
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup applesauce
a handful of dried apples or raisins (I put the raisins in with my own because my kids really, REALLY hate raisins. Like instantly gag hate)

In a bowl mix your oats, cinnamon, Cheerios and brown sugar and set aside.

Melt 2 TBSP of butter in a saucepan on medium heat, then toss in the applesauce and honey. Bring to a good solid all over bubbling. Let bubble for 1 min, then remove from heat.
Pour it on your dry mixture and mix until it is all covered.
Spread it out on a baking sheet and cook for about an hour at 250 degrees.
Mix it around every 15-20 minutes until it is evenly dried.
Take tray out of oven and sprinkle on dried fruit. Let cool and transfer to an airtight container.

Verdict: I made this yesterday and more than half of it didn't make it to the airtight container. My kids were all over it. It made a great snack and Jeff and I had our fair share also. I had a bowl with milk last night as my snack after I put the kids to bed and it was really good. I am out of yogurt but I think it would be really good on that. I'm going to play around with adding different spices like maybe some vanilla. It would also be yummy to make this and mix it with peanuts and m&m's as a trail mix. Next time I will probably make two batches. One for us to eat that day and another to put in the container for cereal and snacks through the week. These are also great ingredients to have on hand in food storage and would be easy to use to make your own cereal.

No comments: