Saturday, August 16, 2008

Southwest Chicken Salad

I have been trying to come up with yummy things for Jeff to take in his cooler for lunch/dinner besides sandwiches. I found this recipe in my Food and Family Simple Shortcuts book. I just prepared everything for the salads and put them in their bowls in the fridge so each day before he leaves I put the things together in his container and off he goes. It's actually faster than making sandwiches and I think probably more filling and yummy for him.

Salad Greens
Southwest Chicken Breast Strips**
Canned Corn, Drained
Salsa
Ranch Dressing
~This would also be yummy as a wrap and Jeff and I both thought Frito's or corn chips would taste good with it.
I just put the chicken, salad and corn in a bowl and then send him with a little container of salsa and ranch.
** You can make your own chicken and store it in the fridge. The recipe is advertising Oscar Mayers Fully cooked, ready to eat chicken breast strips. We don't have the Oscar Mayer brand out here but I found a different brand that is the exact same. The flavor of the premade stuff is really good and the chicken is tender. I might try to find a seasoning to do my own chicken breasts but this is a great and easy mans meal that they don't have to cook anything.

~The one can of corn and the package of ready to go chicken is enough for about four salads with man size meat portions for a salad for dinner (so bigger than just a lunch salad)

~I have been buying heads of lettuce and chopping it up myself and adding in spinach. It stores better in the fridge than the bags of lettuce and if it's all ready to go in my fridge I eat more salads.

Verdict:
Jeff loved the salad and took another one today.
I made myself one (minus the salsa, I can't stand spicy) for lunch today because the kids wanted hot dogs and those are not my favorite things. Yeah well the kids ended up eating my salad and I ended up with their hot dogs. My kids are not salad eaters either so even they loved it. I think I hear G in the kitchen scavenging for more.

No comments: